Discuss what we can learn from thinking about this video as it relates to the Eight Mathematical Practices.
Eight Mathematical Practices
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Watch Caine’s Arcade again, and read more about his story and what’s happened since the movie.
Think about a time when you designed and created something really cool.
1. What did you create? How old were you when you created it?
2. What inspired you?
3. What challenges did you encounter? How did you overcome them?
4. What materials did you use?
5. How did you feel when the project was completed?
6. What free/inexpensive resources/materials could you use to design and create something new?
Caine’s Arcade from Nirvan Mullick on Vimeo.